Phone Michael Janz 04114 20918 04114-20918

How do I change my name after marriage?

Once you are married there is no need to apply to change your name— this is covered by your marriage certificate. You will find many agencies now days want more than the evidence provided in the wedding certificate the Celebrant provides on your wedding day. It is necessary to apply for a standard Marriage Certificate from Births, Deaths and Marriages in your State. I provide assistance for couples in Qld. to apply for the Certificate prior to the wedding day, I verify your identity and submit all the paperwork after the wedding by Express Post.

After you have your Marriage Certificate, there is a great service provided by They provide a simple way of contacting all the necessary companies and agencies to effect the name change.

Should we include a reading in our wedding ceremony?

Readings are are great way to help tell a story about you as a couple or to illustrate things you value. It's also a great way to enable family members or friends to be engaged. Here are some special examples.

What's the best way to choose a Celebrant?

The best way is for you and you partner to meet a prospective Celebrant. I offer a no obligation meeting to enable us to get to know each other so you can make sure I am the right one for you. I am pleased to travel to you.

We want a simple ceremony but don't know what we want. How can you help?

At our first meeting I provide a comprehensive "Wedding Kit" that includes a set of Ceremony options. I also try to match you with three actual ceremonies I have conducted to help guide you in what will work for you.

What are some ideas for music during the Ceremony?

There are so things to consider when planning a wedding! As a Celebrant, I find most couples like to have music at the beginning, when the signing is taking place and at the end (recessional). I provide recorded music and a separate sound system with copyright protection as part of my service. Click here to download a collection of terrific wedding music ideas.

Is it okay for the Bride to be late?

A few minutes isn't an issue. However, many venues have a number of weddings on the day and running late is likely to cause pressure to complete the ceremony by its scheduled completion.

It's advisable for the groom and his party to arrive thirty minutes prior to the ceremony start and have one of his party as an appointed contact to the bridal party so any unforeseen challenges can be easily communicated.

Which side does the bride and groom stand during the ceremony?

There is no "correct" side for the bride and groom to stand. It is generally the case that the bride stands to the left of the groom. Interestingly this tradition stems from the days of "marriage by capture", when the groom needed to leave his right hand, which he used to hold his sword, free in the event that he should need to defend his bride from other suitors who may try to whisk her off at the last minute.

Regardless of the side the couple stand, it a great idea for your parents to sit on the opposite side you you so they can see your face and enjoy the occasion fully.

What are our Legal Obligations?

Under the Marriage Act 1961 there are certain obligations that you, as a couple intending to get married, must meet prior to a marriage ceremony being solemnised.

A Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) must be lodged with your chosen Marriage Celebrant no less than one month and no more than eighteen months prior to the marriage being solemnised.

Under normal circumstances the Notice of Intended Marriage form would be completed at your first meeting with your Marriage Celebrant and the required documentation must be produced to him/her at that time, or certainly before the marriage can take place. Both parties are required to give a minimum one month notice by signing and lodging the NOIM. There are some exceptions; for instance if a partner is overseas or interstate and only one can sign a month before the wedding day that is acceptable. However, if these circumstances do not exist then both parties are required to sign one month before.

Parties to a marriage must produce evidence of date and place of birth and this can be done by producing a birth certificate, or an extract of a birth certificate, or an Australian or Overseas passport. Persons born overseas, who cannot produce such original documents under some circumstances can make a statutory declaration as to details of date and place of birth. IMPORTANT: A statutory declaration can only be used in extreme cases, i.e. circumstances where social upheaval due to political situations such as civil war, or in instances of natural disaster have led to the destruction and/or unavailability of civil records. The declaration must show cause why you can't obtain the documents. 

In the case of persons previously married, an original copy of your Divorce Certificate or, if applicable a Court Annulment Certificate; the case of widowhood, an original copy of the Death Certificate must be produced. These documents MUST be produced before the marriage can take place. It is essential that you allow yourself adequate time to acquire them if you have misplaced them. 

Prior to your wedding, both parties will be required to sign a declaration, under the Marriage Act 1961, stating that you believe there is no legal impediment to the marriage between yourself and your partner. This is a legal document and calls for honesty at all times. Penalties may apply for false or misleading information.

Can I get married with less than one month's notice?

A prescribed authority may authorise a marriage to be solemnised despite the authorised celebrant receiving the NOIM within one month of the date of the marriage.  A list of prescribed authorities is published on the Attorney-General’s Department website.

The five circumstances in which an application for shortening of time may be considered by a prescribed authority are set out in Schedule 1B to the Marriage Regulations 1963 (Cth). These are limited to:
•    employment related or other travel commitments
•    wedding or celebration arrangements, or religious considerations
•    medical reasons
•    legal proceedings, or
•    an error in giving notice.
If the parties to an intended marriage have not provided the NOIM to the authorised celebrant with the minimum one month’s notice, they will need to apply to a prescribed authority for authorisation before the celebrant can make or confirm any arrangements to marry them.   

Have you got another question?

I'd be delighted to help ... contact Michael Janz on 04114 20918 or email

Silvia and Dave celebrating after a rainforest wedding on Tamborine Mountain

Silvia and Dave celebrating after a rainforest wedding on Tamborine Mountain